The Realm of Reason

"In the vortex of this debate, once the battle lines were sharply drawn, moderate ground everywhere became hostage to the passions of the two sides. Reason itself had become suspect; mutual tolerance was seen as treachery. Vitriol overcame accommodation." - Jay Winik, April 1865

Monday, August 9, 2010

Career Politicians and Bureaucrats

I was reading through the voters pamphlet here in Washington's primaries, and noted that one of the candidates from my side of the aisle wrote the following: "I am proud to say I have no elected experience! I do not believe in career politicians."

As I read that, I think I appreciated the sentiment. Y'know, it's nice to have fresh blood in there, fresh ideas, shake things up a bit, etc. Nothing wrong with that, and certainly a great deal of virtue that can come along with a new face.

That said, I couldn't help but wonder if this candidate would vote against Thomas Jefferson or James Madison, both of whom spent the greater part of their adult lives in elected office or serving as government officials?

Perhaps this rhetorical question is a bit self serving, as I have spent my entire adult career as a public servant. But I have noticed, during that time, that it does come in handy having a handful of legislators and policy makers who know where the washrooms are in the building, and have some institutional memory of what works, what doesn't, and the whys and hows of all of it.

Just a thought.



Author of the Declaration of Independence, and career politician.













Author of the Constitution of the United States, and career politician.




























Author of the Constitution of the United States, and career politician.

No comments:

Post a Comment